Anyone else happy to have the winter season upon us? There’s just something about the chill in the air and the seasonal holiday fun that puts such a smile on my face and on my kids, too. I love to make this time of the year special for my family because it really is such a fun and magical time.
When the winter season rolls around for us, it’s always hot chocolate time. It’s our signature family drink for the season that we sometimes have for breakfast (shhh… !), or afternoon snack or an evening treat. I even purchase new matching winter mugs for my family each season and I always make sure to have a tray filled with hot chocolate items ready to be used when family and friends are over.
There’s just nothing like a warm, yummy, hot beverage when it’s cold outside, but it’s even better when it’s a fun one to drink, too.
Since my kids love hot chocolate during the winter months, I thought it would be fun to create a DIY hot chocolate bomb at home, just to mix it up this winter season. I’ve seen hot chocolate bombs trending like crazy on social media, so I got excited to make my own at home. The best news of all? They’re super easy, and you can customize them any way you want!
If you’re wondering how to make a hot chocolate bomb, I’ve got you covered. It’s a fun winter activity that you can do with your family and also enjoy with them when you’re done! It’s a winter win win for everyone.
1. Take your HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate and melt it down. This is where my kids usually steal a piece or two! I prefer to use a microwaveable glass bowl to melt down my chocolate, but if you happen to have a double boiler, you can use that, too. I find the microwave to be the easiest and quickest way. Just make sure the chocolate is completely melted down.
2. Once the chocolate is melted, coat each section in the hot chocolate bomb mold with the chocolate. I find it easiest to use a spoon to make sure there’s a solid layer coated around the entire circular mold.
3. Let the chocolate harden in the mold for 45 minutes. If you’re looking to speed up the hardening process, feel free to place it in your refrigerator for 30 minutes or your freezer for 15 minutes. You just want to make sure the chocolate is completely hardened before you attempt to release it from the mold. Once the chocolate is hardened, carefully take the chocolate shells out of the mold because the fun part is about to begin!
4. Take 1 chocolate shell and fill it with hot cocoa powder and whatever Hershey’s candy you want. A little hack we found to be helpful is to place the shells back into the mold as you fill them up. It’s easier to work with them this way. I have to be honest with you, this was my favorite part, and my daughter’s, too. It was so much fun seeing what kind of hot chocolate bomb creations we could make.
5. Take your Hershey Candies and have some fun deciding what to create inside your Hot Chocolate Bomb. We bought REESE’S PIECES Candies, KIT KAT® Minis Bars, REESE’S Minis Cups, HERSHEY’S KISSES Candies, HERSHEY’S DROPS Candies
(COOKIES ’N ’CREME and Milk Chocolate), which are all family faves! We also bought some mini marshmallows and sprinkles to add in, too!
6. Once one half is filled, take an empty chocolate shell and coat the edge with melted chocolate. You can dip it into the melted chocolate bowl (reheat again to soften) or take a spoon and make sure the rim of the shell is completely covered. Take your shell and place it on top of the filled chocolate shell. Hold for a few seconds to let it sit and then let the chocolate dry for 10-15 minutes.
7. Your hot chocolate bomb is ready to serve as is or you can decorate the outer shell with some HERSHEY’S Syrup and add some sprinkles! This is all up to you!
It’s time to enjoy! Place your hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug and slowly pour hot milk over it. This is the fun part because you will see your hot chocolate bomb open and release all that yummy sweetness! Then stir carefully to mix everything and enjoy your chocolate goodness!
We hope you have some fun with your family and friends creating these sweet, yummy, and delicious hot chocolate bombs! It’s the perfect time and season to create these right at home. If you’re not crafty in the kitchen, you can buy a ready-made HERSHEY S Holiday Milk Chocolate with Mini Marshmallows Hot Chocolate Bomb. Just add hot milk or pick up a few extras for stocking stuffers!
Fill your holly jolly season with all the best Christmas cookies, holiday party ideas and unique DIY gift inspiration. We're ready to celebrate with you!
Audrey is a nationally recognized parenting expert (and mom of 5) who has appeared on national and local broadcast stations. She has worked online as a parenting influencer for 16 years, and the founder of MomGenerations.com, an online destination for mothers. She has been named one of the most influential moms online and is a long-standing contributor to the TODAY Show Parents Network.